Friday, April 1, 2011

Read: how to steal like an artist

warning:
on this post...all i do is reposting what someone smart like Austin Kleon who posted this on his blog.

This morning i was scrolling down Twitter and saw Lisa Congdon tweeted about a link to this interesting article (<--click to read) by Austin Kleon. You should really read it too. Some good points to note in your little idea/inspiration journal book. 

All credits to Austin Kleon


"1. Steal like an artist.

Every artist gets asked the question, “Where do you get your ideas?”
The honest artist answers, “I steal them.”



You’re ready. Start making stuff.
You might be scared. That’s natural.
There’s this very real thing that runs rampant in educated people. It’s called imposter syndrome. The clinical definition is a “psychological phenomenon in which people are unable to internalize their accomplishments.” It means that you feel like a phony, like you’re just winging it, that you really don’t have any idea what you’re doing.
Guess what?
None of us do. I had no idea what I was doing when I started blacking out newspaper columns. All I knew was that it felt good. It didn’t feel like work. It felt like play.
Ask any real artist, and they’ll tell you the truth: they don’t know where the good stuff comes from. They just show up to do their thing. Every day.
- this is my favourite piece of advice from Austin.

Taking note...

On music playlist today: When I see you smile
Yesterday i heard this classic song by Mr.Big (band) called 'When i see you smile' played on my favourite radio station, Sonshine fm 98.5 and have this song stuck on replay today...even as i'm typing now.
I thought about my sis and her newborn baby girl when i heard this song. I told her about it. hehe.
Every now and then, it's nice to hear something from the past. Classics rock!


pic source: http://just-littlethings.tumblr.com/

Have a lovely Friday as you get ready to dive into a great weekend ahead!!

2 comments:

Helena said...

those are some wise words, my friend!

L said...

You have a gorgeous Wednesday, Helena! :-)

Related Posts with Thumbnails